Thursday, April 7, 2022

A week in Ventnor - July 1972

Sometimes comic memories stick in the mind because they’re linked to seminal events in your life.

In the summer of 1972 I had just turned 13, and so I was allowed to go on my first holiday on my own, to Ventnor on the south side of the Isle of Wight to stay with my Aunt and Uncle for a week.


I went with high hopes of getting more comics at Mr Keen’s antiquarian bookshop in Pier Street, Ventnor. Earlier that year  on a holiday with my Mum and Dad - at Easter -  I had hit the jackpot with scoring a pile of comics in Mr Keen’s antiquarian bookshop in Ventnor at 2p each, including a run of most of Detective 390-412- which included those classic Denny O’Neil/Neal Adams Man-Bat stories plus the Enemy Ace crossover. (For those you wishing to take a look at Google street view , the address is 19 Pier Street, Ventnor. Mr Keen is long gone, of course, owning the shop from 1972-1981.)


Each day that week  in July I would walk down from Upper Ventnor to the town centre in the hopes of finding new comics in John Menzies or at one of the seafront gift shops.


Even though it was Summer, I felt compelled to wear my over-sized army-surplus combat jacket which had come from Ben Grubbs, a store in Portsmouth. I felt it lent me an air of rugged individuality.


My Aunt and Uncle’s daughter, my cousin, who was four years older than me at seventeen, welcomed me to tag along with her, her boyfriend and their friends. Her boyfriend (“call me Zak”) was an amiable bearded long-haired groovy guy with a penchant for check jackets with wide lapels.  I felt honored to be allowed to hang out with them (no doubt at the behest of my aunt).


The Regal, Shanklin, 1972


The week kicked off on a Sunday night with a trip to Shanklin to see Diamonds are Forever at the Regal cinema in Shanklin. We went in a van driven by a friend of my cousin. I think there were five of us siting on a mattress on the floor in the back, as we rattled around inside the rear of the van. (I have an inkling that the driver - a curly-haired, more conventional, friendly guy inclined to a rosy complexion - had a crush on my cousin.)


What a film! This was my first exposure to Sean Connery as Bond (having previously seen OHMSS in 1969), and the early scene where he is trapped in a coffin inside a crematorium incinerator sticks in my mind. I also took notice of the film poster (by the great Robert McGinnis), realizing how the common motif of Bond with his arms folded had become connecting tissue across all the Bond film posters.


As I went to bed that night at my Aunt’s house (I was staying in the room vacated by my cousin’s older brother who was away) I became aware that a paperback book had fallen on the floor from where it had been tucked under the mattress. It was a bit of an eye-opener for. 13-year old.



That book was The Perfumed Garden (Panther Edition,1966), a translation of an ancient Indian sex manual by Sir Richard Burton, famed Arabist, polymath and explorer. I would a few years later re-encounter Sir Richard Burton as the fictional protagonist in Philip Jose Farmer’s book To Your Scattered Bodies Go. Well, those Indians knew a thing or two about human gymnastics that wouldn’t end up an an Olympic sport , and I reflected that learning a different language at school may have had applications I had not previously appreciated. 


The Silvermere Cafe gift shop where I found Detective #355

The next day I decided to walk down to the seafront, and on the spinner rack of a gift shop I found an excellent condition copy of Detective #355  (“Hate of the Hooded Hangman”).What a find! Six years after publication and not a crease! It felt almost as good as if I’d found Detective #27! I can remember the crispness of it now (presumably sun-baked over the previous 6 summers, even though there was no evidence of direct sunlight fading)


The Rex Cinema, Ventnor

As the week was coming to a close, hormones raging, I persuaded my Aunt to take me to see Up The Front at the Rex Cinema on Thursday. I was a great fan of the Carry On films at this time, and figured that this would probably be a bit risqué, with Frankie Howard ably supported by the ample charms of Madeline Smith. I was not disappointed, although I think that my Aunt had some misgivings that she was culpable in exposing her nephew to something so salacious (well it was “A” rated).


So at the end of the week I returned home with the experience of having moved in a maturer circles of friends, had some education that garden swings had more uses that previously envisaged, had seen an exciting Bond film with a fantastic poster by Robert McGinnis, had seen Madeline Smith in fine form on the silver screen, and had an immaculate copy of Detective #355 safely stored in my haversack.


Shanklin - the Isle of Wight ferry


As I crossed the Solent back to Portsmouth on the Isle of Wight ferry "Shanklin", waiting for me back in Pompey was the prospect of the new DCs hitting the spinner rack on the following Thursday.


What a summer! Golden Days indeed.

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like a memorable summer, B. My one and only visit to the Isle of Wight was on a Wednesday afternoon (possibly February or March, maybe even April) in 1981. Wednesdays were still half-shopping days back then and just about everything was closed, apart from a newsagent's shop I found. I bought some paperback books and a couple of comics (still have them all) and went and sat in a graveyard for an hour or two to browse through them until the ferry came back. However, I now realise there's a bit of a problem with that memory as, although I came over in a ferry, it was a hovercraft that took me back. Or did it only take me to where the ferry departed from? Ah, the frailties of memory, eh? I took a photo of a tiny castle on the beach, so that's something to show on my blog one day (if I haven't already). A few years later, I was excited to see that same castle used in a TV ad, though I'm not sure what it was for. Insurance maybe? I do recall there was a knight in it. Another thing I recall is seeing an old issue of World Of Knowledge that I already had (and still have), on a shelf in the newsagent's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My memory is warming up a bit. I think a hovercraft took passengers to the end of a long pier-type construct from which the ferry departed.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the comments, Kid. Back in 1981 the two services which ran to the Isle of Wight were (1) the hovercraft which ran (and still does) from Southsea Beach near Clarence Pier fun fair over to Ryde shoreline and (2) the hydrofoil which ran from Portsmouth Harbour station to the end of the very long Ryde Pier, which connected with the Isle of Wight railway. Did you perhaps take the hydrofoil over there and take the hovercraft back? Which comics did you get?

      Delete
    3. I seem to recall it was a ship on the way over, and a hovercraft or hydrofoil that took me from a ticket office to where the ship then departed. I'd have to see the layout again to help refresh my memory. There's a photo (I think) from the back of the ship in the post I did about my stay in Southsea. Same with the comics, memory-wise - I'd have to see them again (they're tucked away somewhere) to remind myself, but 'I, Vampire' was one of the strips in one of them, which had 'Mystery' as part of the mag's title. The other one had space stories in it. My memory is really lousy for some things these days.

      Delete
    4. No, wait a minute - it was probably Mystery In Space that had the space stories, and I can't recall the mag's title with 'I, Vampire'. It'll come to me.

      Delete
    5. Was it House of Mystery 293 with story title “I… Vampire: The Burning”?

      Delete
    6. I have a vague notion that the vampire was cured, B, but until I find the actual issue to remind me, I won't know for sure. I'll have to get back to you on it.

      Delete
    7. Just looked it up on Daily Comic Cover - it was HOM #319 - The Final Chapter. I'll try and find the space one now.

      Delete
  2. Got it - Mystery In Space #111. (Had to look on eBay.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great reminiscences and pictures baggsey and a great holiday regardless of your age. . I haven’t been to the Isle of Wight, the furthest South I have been is in the Brighton area but it sounds like your comic book holiday memories of Ventnor in 1972 was similar to a family holiday I had to Blackpool in 1973 where US comics (as well as Alan Class comics) were literally everywhere stacked up high in thick piles . I have a vivid memory of picking up loads of Alan Class , Marvel and DC comics including Kull issue 9, Conan 26 , Sub Mariner 60 and a copy of Skywalds Hell Rider. I also visited an indoor market in the town with my mum and dad where there was a stall selling old comics where I purchased a copy of Silver Surfer issue 12 and many others for very little money. Sadly I never came across anything like the Perfumed Garden book but I do remember going with my mum to cinema in the town to watch a James Bond double of Thunderball and Goldfinger that started at 10am (it seemed to go on forever) .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments and your holiday reminiscence, McScotty. Thanks also for the reminder of those James Bond double-bills that used to come around the cinemas in the summer. I think I saw Goldfinger on a double with You Only Live Twice, and Thunderball with Dr No. From Russia With Love was paired with a non-Bond, I think. Probably summer ‘73. I shall have to go through some local Portsmouth newspaper archives to pin point the actual dates.

      I’ve noticed in the past that you’ve mentioned that work sometimes takes you down to Brighton. I’ve not been there for many years, although I do have strong memories of driving over to a comic shop in the Preston Rd area a few times in the 1978-79 timeframe, and also finding a few gems in The Lanes in the summer of ‘73 during a day trip with my Mum and Dad.

      If you find yourself in Brighton again you might find it worthwhile driving over to Portsmouth (about an hour’s drive) as there are a couple of comic shops there. I can’t vouch for them, but Ian’s Comics in the North End area is popular and he’s been in business for 20 years or so.

      Delete
  4. I was actually in Brighton a couple of weeks ago baggsey. I love the Lanes nice bars, coffee shops and markets including Dave's a great comic shop - I picked up a few comics including Avengers issue 88 which I wrote about on my blog. We were planning on going to Porstmouth and Plymouth but time caught up with us as we were only down south for 4 days bout we will do that next time and I will look out for Ian's etc. .

    ReplyDelete