Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Belfast, Thor and growing up in the Sixties

Over the weekend I watched the most wonderful film “Belfast” , Kenneth Branagh’s autobiographically-inspired film of growing up in Belfast in 1969. For any of us British schoolboys born around the start of the sixties, the film will touch on a lot of memories and emotions of a time that has suddenly disappeared. 

All the actors are at the top of their game, and the young Jude Hill as “Buddy” is a revelation. I shelled out $19.99 to watch it with the family on Amazon Prime and it was well worth it. The attention to period detail in the film is immaculate, and for those of you with an abiding affection for Star Trek, Thunderbirds, Corgi and Matchbox toys, the enjoyment is that much the greater. 

Those of you with eagle eyes will spot young Buddy reading a Thor comic (#139 – “To Die Like A God”) and if you zoom in, you’ll even see that Buddy is reading the 10d UK “price variant” edition. (A two-year old comic at the time the film is set). A nice nod to Branagh’s subsequent desire to direct the first Thor movie. 

Great stuff! Go and see the film, or stream it. You’ll thank me.
© Universal/Focus Features. "Buddy" (Jude Hill) reading Thor #139

© Marvel Comics.


9 comments:

  1. I'll make a point of watching it when it's broadcast on terrestrial TV, B. I remember reading that Thor tale when it was reprinted in Fantastic. I don't think I've got the original US comic, but I've got various Masterworks and Omnibus re-presentations of it. Ta for the heads-up about the movie. Branagh was on TV on Friday plugging it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I managed to peruse a digital copy of the comic, Kid. Presumably that specific issue meant something to Branagh...perhaps the first Thor he got? As you point out, he more likely would have read it in Fantastic. Any idea which Fantastic issue it was?

      Delete
    2. Had to dig out my full set of Fantastic from a cupboard to remind myself, B - the tale was spread over #s 84 & 85.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for going to the trouble of looking out those issues, Kid. I'd found the full set of Fantastic covers on comicvine.gamespot.com, but those covers gave no clue to which issue contained the Thor story.I looked for an on-line index to which stories were contained in Power comics, but came up short. It looks like a bloke called Steve Holland published a book "Power Pack: An Index of the Power Comics" back in 1993, which might be a quite useful reference work.

      Delete
    4. Meant to say that I have the Power Pack book, B, it's quite informative. Also, every Fantastic cover is on my blog, as well as all the Terrific covers.

      Delete
  2. "Belfast" looks a really interesting film aand one I might watch when it comes to a smaller cinema (the Grosvner or Everyman) not just so I can have a drink but I'm still wary of big crowds and COVID in the super cinemas. That Thor comic cover is one I'm not familiar with although I probably read the story in the UK Spiderman Comics Weekly back in the day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the film would work well in a smaller venue, McScotty. Great Van Morrison music. I'm with you on being cautious about going to the cinema. I've only been once since COVID began, to see the Bond film. I went with my family, but did the 11am showing on a weekday to avoid crowds.

      Delete
    2. The cover was used as a splash page to the 'second' half of the tale in Fantastic #85, McS.

      Delete
  3. Love Van Morrisons music and it would fit the film well. Never bought Fantastic Kid so I would have missed that but pretty impressive memory/recall

    ReplyDelete