Wednesday, September 22, 2021

A SuperStuff Summer Special - Stingray, TV21 and a free gift

 Lazing in the sun with only Mrs B., tolerant son and an iPhone for company, options for coming up with SuperStuff blog entries are a bit limited.

Back in 1965 I would also have had a copy of the TV21 Summer special for company. 


Copyright whoever holds it

That particular issue has long since disappeared, but the free Stingray “WASP” badge has survived down the years, stuck to the side of a mahogany money-box made by my Dad in the 1930s.




When I first got the free sticker, I attached it to the front of a steam-engine driver’s cap that my Dad gave me, and then subsequently I adorned the money-box with it.



Should I ease the sticker from the money-box and put it up for sale on eBay? 

6 comments:

  1. I'm lucky enough to have all the TV21 Specials, including this one, though I don't have the badge. I doubt you'd get much for it on ebay given its condition and the fact that its partner is missing, so I'd say hang on to it as a treasure from your past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ll be definitely hanging on to it, Kid. It connects me to my Dad, my Dad’s model steam loco hobbies, the house we lived in, and to Stingray, of course. I also look at the photo and see that my Dad in 1965 was younger than I am now (he was 59 in the photo) and ponder a bit on how short life is, and remember to enjoy the happy moments as they occur.

      Delete
    2. Glad to hear you are keeping the sticker B, that’s exactly why I plan to hold onto many of my old comics and the (very few) toys I have from my childhood as like you they connect me to my mum, dad, brother etc.

      I never bought TV21 at this point (only once it merged with Valiant) but that WASP patch rings a distant bell so maybe my brother had that issue. I used to have a Stingray model that you wound up the propeller (which had an elastic band) for use in the bath that was my favourite toy for ages.

      I know what you mean when looking back at photos of your parents. My partner and myself have family photos on a wall and I always pause and look at my mum and dads pics. In in many of those photos they are in their 30s and 40s and look so young and it cant fail to dawn on you just how quickly the years passed and the fact my dad has been "gone" longer than I knew him (he sadly passed away when I was 25). But that's a great picture of you and your dad.

      Delete
    3. I have that Lone Star Stingray, McS. I think I've shown it on the blog before, but I'll maybe publish it again (or do a new one) so that you can see it.

      Delete
    4. Thanks for the kind words about the photo, McScotty. Nostalgia is certainly a big driver for my interest these days in my passions from back in the 60s and 70s. The same for all of us, I’m sure.

      Unlike you and Kid, I never had the Stingray with the revolving propeller, although I did have the Airfix Stingray which my Dad made and painted for me. It was a lovely model.

      Delete
    5. Their Fireball XL5 model was also a belter. Unfortunately, I never had either of them.

      Delete