Thursday, July 14, 2011

That's the Wonder of Woolworth's - blog entry by Ian Baker


A little bit of a trip down memory lane today with this photo of my earliest Batman and Robin collectibles, and which pre-date my earliest Batman comic acquisition (#186 - Cover Date Nov 1966 - "The Joker's Original Robberies").

The figures in the photo are 4” high plastic figures produced by toy soldier makers Charbens or Cherilea in the UK in the late Summer of 1966. Although the Batman TV series (the catalyst for my comics interest) premiered in the US in January 1966, it was not until July 4th that it premiered on ITV in the UK). 


The two figures you see were purchased by my mother in Woolworths in Palmerston Road, Southsea in September 1966, and given to me after school one day while we waited in Pembroke Road, Old Portsmouth for my father to collect us on his way home from work.

When my father arrived, he also produced a figure of Batman that he had purchased himself from Woolworths in Commercial Rd, during his lunch hour! So I ended up with two Batmen and one Robin!

These figures are incredibly rare, in any condition, virtually unknown outside of the UK. A quick “google” has shown that a pair of these figures is up for sale at $454, and a shabby Batman on its own for $125, with no base. I see that a firm has acquired the moulds, and it is now possible to purchase unpainted versions of the Batman figure for a modest price.

Woolworths played a major role in selling Batman-related merchandise in the 1960s, and we’ll take a look at some of the other items in later blogs. As far as I know, Woolworths never sold American comics in the UK, but they were a major influence on promoting awareness of the superhero genre in a drab Britain.


(Note : the pictures of Woolworths in Portsmouth from 1966 shown here were swiped from Flickr, taken by a chap called Richard Baker. His photos capture a Britain transitioning from austerity to the "Swinging Sixties", a world away from the imagined colour and excitment of America, as seen through the lens of the Batman TV series).

11 comments:

  1. Actually, my local Woolworths (in Scotland) sold DC Comics, and I remember buying Batman #184 in 1966 or '67. I also remember buying these figures - I probably bought two or three of each over a period of months. I was fascinated by that purple (?) colour on Batman's cape and cowl, etc, 'though I used to repaint them with those little Humbrol (I think) glass-phialed paints that Woolworths also sold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the memories, Kid. I actually repainted one of my Batman's in Humbrol paint as well. I recently managed to pick up a couple of all-gray versions of Batman from ebay, from someone who had the original moulds

      Delete
    2. Couldn't give me contact details, could you, Baggsey? I'll see if i can get one myself.

      Delete
  2. Aahh! Good old Woolies! The base of my Cherilea Dalek army, (long since departed!) God bless 'em! Such an important part of our childhood, we must never forget old F.W.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, John. You're spot on about Woolies being such a major part of our childhood. Ian

      Delete
  3. I've managed to acquire both of them on eBay, so thanks for reminding me of their existence. Just waiting for Robin to arrive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How much did you have to pay for them?

      Delete
    2. They weren't too dear as I recall, though I think Robin was dearer than Batman. Can't actually remember what I paid now, though they weren't ridiculously expensive. Maybe £40-odd quid for the two, perhaps just a bit more? Though I'm guessing, to be honest.

      Delete
    3. Sounds like you got a good deal. Hope you’re keeping them unrestored, or do you have Humbrol tins at the ready?

      Delete
    4. I used acrylic paint to do some minor retouches on them so that they looked pristine. Fortunately I can do so to a very high standard so that they look better after than before. Also, I feel that it connects them to myself more - as in makes them mine, rather than just generic examples of what they are. (If that makes any sense.)

      Delete
    5. Did you ever post a photo of your Cherilea Batman and Robin figures in your blog? I’d be interested to see them.

      Delete