Thursday, September 1, 2022

First purchase on US soil: Aquaman #57

In the UK, as teenagers in the 70s, we all lived on the coat-tails of the US pop-culture experience. American comics had been my first insight into the US experience ; in colour, and full of ads; ads for toys we could only dream of, small ads for X-ray specs; ads for huge amusement parks, and ads for TV cartoon shows on Saturday mornings!! What a place! And as the 70s progressed, and as the UK caught up with colour TV and the UK TV scene was overrun with American cop shows, my desire to sample the US pop culture experience first-hand became more and more acute.

© DC. Aquaman #57 - my first comic bought in the US
And at age eighteen I finally got to go on a 3-week holiday to the US in Summer of 1977, visiting my uncle and aunt who lived in West Caldwell, New Jersey, a mere bus ride to the Big Apple, Manhattan. 

Within 24 hours of arriving from England I was desperate to buy a comic - any comic - and so I found a sealed polythene bag containing two comics in a store called Fiegelson’s on Bloomfield Ave in Caldwell, New Jersey.  These two comics - the first two comics I bought in the US - were Aquaman #57 and Batman #290. 

© Ian Baker. Fiegelson's , Bloomfield Ave, Caldwell, NJ.   July 14 1977
It was July 14, 1977. The comics had hit the newsstands as individual issues two months earlier, so I presumed the double bagging was an effort by the distributors to sell old stock, (a practice that was still happening in the early 2000s when Toys-R-Us packaged old Marvels and DCs haphazardly in bags of 10 or 20 comics). 

Back in the late 70s/early 80s these poly-bag comics were sold by Whitman, and DC had a deal to print the Whitman logo instead of 'DC' on the comics being sold in this way. I honestly cannot remember if the comics I bought in that day had the Whitman logo. They are now sought out by some US collectors as rare variants.

© Ian Baker. Holding the actual bag - July 14th 1977.

I was pretty excited to not only get the latest Batman but to find that the Aquaman series drawn by Jim Aparo had been resurrected from its cancellation six years earlier, picking up at issue #57. I read the Aquaman issue first.

The Aquaman story was written by David Michilinie and drawn by series artist Jim Aparo. It was the next issue following #56 “The Creature That Devoured Detroit” which had been published in the Mar-April 1971 issue, a full six years earlier. 

In the interim, the Aquaman saga had continued within the pages of Adventure Comics from issue #441 to #452, and so the tale I was reading was the conclusion of a convoluted saga wherein Black Manta had killed Aquaman's son, Arthur Jr.. The mixture of melodrama and high adventure in the pages of Adventure Comics was sufficient to warrant the resuscitation of the Aquaman comic book with stories in the same vein, but was a far cry from the type of story that Steve Skeates had been writing in issues #40-#56, which had touched on socially conscious issues of pollution and climate change as a counter-balance to our hero's exploits. 

Jim Aparo continued to deliver outstanding artwork in Aquaman #57, but the challenge of fitting the story into 17 pages lead to many, very small panels, on each page. The story was actually a conclusion to an arc of stories by Dave Michilinie in the pages of Adventure comics which had culminated in #452. The story in Aquaman #57 would have benefited from running as two 12-page stories, to give the tale room to breathe. 

I found the frenetic pace of the action too busy for my tastes, and missed the more detailed artwork and slower pacing that Aparo had delivered six years earlier back in issue #56, with delicate shading and tones. See comparison below.

© DC. Frenetic pacing and crammed artwork in Aquaman #57



© DC. Great shading and tones from Aquaman #56, from six years earlier


However, the I was impressed enough to continue to pick up Aquaman going forward. 

I'll cover the Batman comic in a later blog.

Random Observations:

  • The interaction between Black Manta and his mentor on a submarine in the pages of Aquaman #57 is very reminiscent of a similar scene near the start of the recent Aquaman movie.

  • Re-reading the previous issue, Aquaman #56, I was reminded that the abrupt ending to that storyline by Steve Skeates in 1971 was the jumping-off point for Steve Skeates' story in the final issue of Marvel's Sub-Mariner #72 in 1974. 

Aquaman #56 ends with Aquaman destroying a rogue satellite, and Sub-Mariner #72 begins with the same scene with no explanation of context. Another unofficial DC/Marvel crossover!  (Someone should have told colourist Linda Lessmann to make the glove green in the Sub-Mariner issue).

See comparison below.            

© DC. Aquaman #56. Story by Steve Skeates


© DC. Final panels from Aquaman #56


© Marvel. Story opening in Sub-Mariner #72

© Marvel. Sub-Mariner 72 - story by Steve Skeates.






8 comments:

  1. Great story of an eventful time baggsey as you know I love these types of story and this is a whopper . Strangely on my first trip to the US (work related around 1993 so as an old git) in New York the first comic I bought was also an Aquaman tale from Adventure comics issue 478 ( Dick Giordano art) from Midtown comics. I also bought a "Homer the Happy Ghost " comic issue 7 (I like Dan Decarlos art) and a few other comics and mags. The shop was great but the back issues were a bit sparse for what I was wanting (early 1970s books) and they cost about the same as in Glasgow . Aparo's run on Aquaman (and the Spectre before that) was amazing I was a big fan of his work and Aquaman was such a fun comic. That's an really interesting link to that Sub Mariner tale I have that issue so will check it out. Aquaman issue 56 looks a cracker of a comic with a great Cardy cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just replied to your comment, McScotty.....just entered it as a new comment by mistake.

      Delete
  2. I was never a particular Aquaman fan back in the 1970s, but re-reading some of those issues now I'm getting a new appreciation for the character and the contribution of the creators. Aparo is such an under-appreciated contributor to the Bronze Age.
    You should write up your visit to Midtown Comics on your blog along with your thoughts on Aquaman #478. Also your initial impressions of New York. Any photos of the event? I love hearing about comic purchases in the context of the time and place. I must confess that I've never been to Midtown Comics in NYC, although have passed it in taxis many, many times over the years with either with Mrs B (who would not have appreciated the diversion) or going to/from an office on business. I always meant to go there and perhaps call in to that Neal Adams gallery - may still do it yet.
    Out here in Chicagoland (a 50-mile radius beyond the city) the local chain Graham Crackers Comics is a great place for back-issues, should you ever be in this part of the world. Time it so that you're in one of their "half-price back issue" weekends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to have photos on my old work phone but stupid
    forgot to save them to my personal phone etc so when I got a new work phone they were lost in afraid. I really liked the Nick Cardy and Aparo Aquaman tales although I don't have many of the former issues. I may be in US early to mid 2023 but it would be a family visit to Cincinnati.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you ever get yourself a pair of those X-ray Specs, B? I got myself a pair from a local joke shop (now gone) around 15 or more years ago. Where's Trading Standards when you need them, eh? Good to finally obtain a pair and see how they worked though. (Or didn't work as the case may be.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're making me envious, Kid, Sad to say, I never acquired X-Ray specs, or Sea Monkeys, or any of those wondrous toys in the small ads. I wonder why they were never advertised in UK comics of the same era? I was also always fascinated by those ads for a Sherman Tank or Submarine for kids. Presumably all cardboard and unable to withstand either a Howitzer shell or the water pressure of several fathoms.

      Delete
    2. If memory serves, I think the X-ray Specs were listed in Ellisdons (a joke and novelty distributor) catalogues, which were sometimes advertised in UK comics. And I have a vague impression of seeing the specs (sometimes called X-ray Gogs, but the same thing) in a UK mag around the '80s, I think.

      Delete
  5. Just read on Paul Levitz's FB page that Steve Skeates passed away yesterday at 80. He was one of the new cohort of writers in the late 60s at DC and did a great job on Aquaman, amongst others. Another one of the young turks of our childhood passing on.

    ReplyDelete