Friday, September 30, 2022

Comic Collages

 A short blog entry this time, but hopefully readers will be able to advise me.

Back around early 1974 I was quite taken by some of the comic collages that Kirby and Steranko were publishing in the likes of Fantastic Four or Nick Fury, and tried my hand very briefly at overlaying cut-outs from comics onto magazine photographs, with the intention of making my own posters.

Here are two examples: one of Spider-Man superimposed over New York, and another one of the Mighty Thor flying down Park Avenue away from the Pan-Am building (later the Met-Life building). Both of the photographs came from an early-1960s issue of National Geographic that had sat in our front room for many years.

Not particularly earth-shaking, but I liked the effect nonetheless. Perhaps you tried your hand at the same kind of effect?

I believe that I cut the pictures of Spider-Man and Thor from interior pages of either Mighty World of Marvel, or Spider-Man Comics Weekly.

Can our eagle-eyed readers tell me the specific issues the pictures came from? A No-prize will be in the mail.

7 comments:

  1. Thor comes from SMCW #5 and Spidey comes from #9. I claim my no-prize. Yeah, they're quite good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, just noticed that the Spidey drawing was also used in #5, but was repeated in #9. So both first appeared in #5.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Kid! I suspected that if anyone knew, you knew! I hope that you didn't have to shift piles of stuff to identify the correct comic. A No-Prize is winging its way to Scotland as we speak. I bet I cut them both out of SMCW #5, on sale week ending March 17th 1973. I obviously did not value the Marvel weeklies with anything like the reverence I held for the US comics, where I would never have cut out coupons in a million years.

      Delete
    3. Nah, no pile-shifting, B, I just looked at the MWOM cover gallery series on my blog. As I scrolled through them in reverse order, issue 9 came up first before issue 5, which is why I at first thought the Spidey figure came from 9. However, after I left my first comment, I continued to scroll down and saw Spidey on the page which would've been next to Thor in the comic, but was under Thor on my blog, hence my follow-up comment.

      Delete
    4. Oops! I meant SMCW cover gallery, not MWOM one. My bad.

      Delete
  2. Very nice baggsey, I particularly like the Thor collage. The Spider-man one is 100s times better that that awful "free" gift poster that appeared in early issues of SMCW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, now you’ve jogged my memory. I think it was my disappointment with the awful Spider-Man poster of someone walking in a Spidey suit superimposed on a B&W picture of NY that inspired me to do the collage in this post.

      Delete