Monday, June 28, 2021

FOOM Stuff - by Ian Baker

I came across my FOOM membership card yesterday, hidden inside a small plastic wallet I had not probably opened since 1975 (there were some Planet of the Apes TV series trading cards inside). So it has followed me around 5 houses, 46 years and across an Ocean to be re-discovered.

Front and back of FOOM membership card

The rest of the FOOM membership pack has long passed into the mists of time.


Then, looking through some old film negatives I came across photos of FOOM stickers and a snap of a rather duff photo-montage Spider-Man Poster presumably which all came into my possession around the same time in 1973. These items must have impressed me sufficiently at that point to borrow my Dad's Minolta SLR camera to photograph the images below.


Spider-Man poster

FOOM sticker


FOOM sticker


If memory serves, the stickers were part of the official FOOM membership pack, or and the poster was a free gift from Spider-Man Comics Weekly? Can anyone confirm - and if possible the dates they appeared? (Sometime in 1973). A No-prize awaits the winner.


I’m sure that some of you based in the UK still have the original FOOM membership pack in its original mailer with a dated postmark. And those of you with MWOM and SMCW collections can pinpoint the exact date the the "awesome" Spider-Man poster became available.


4 comments:

  1. The Spidey poster (which is cropped in your photo) was indeed a giveaway with SMCW. You had to send in 8 coupons (out of 10) cut from the comic, one a week, and the poster would be sent to you. That means you'd have received this probably sometime in April 1973. And yes, the stickers were part of the FOOM membership pack. I've got the full kit, envelope and all, which can be seen on my blog somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for confirming the date as April 1973, Kid. I certainly had that Spidey poster blu-tacked to my bedroom door at some point. I remember that FOOM membership pack well and have no idea how I ended up disposing of it.

      Delete
    2. That poster was also sent out when someone ordered the series 1 Marvel Value Stamp book from Marvel comics in 1974. I still have my book and poster!

      Delete
    3. Thanks for dropping by, Bruce. That is interesting that the Spider-Man poster was also available with the Marvel Value Stamp book. Blogger McScotty did a recent blog entry on Marvel Value Stamps over at https://twthen.blogspot.com/2022/07/gone-but-not-forgotten-marvel-value.html (Tell him I sent you :-) )

      Delete