Thursday, June 17, 2021

Announcing the publication of Alan Austin’s book ‘Comics Unlimited: My life as a Comic Collector and Dealer’

Alan Austin - "The Guv'nor"

 Alan Austin (1955-2017) was one of the most respected figures in UK comic book fandom (writes Nigel Brown). He published many fanzines about American comic books throughout the 1970s and into the 1980s, including Fantasy Unlimited (later Comics Unlimited), the first Comic Book Price Guide for Great Britain, the Golden Age fanzine and the DC and Marvel Comics Indexes.

 

Key Publications by Alan Austin

 

He also wrote two books. One about his life in comics: ‘Comics Unlimited: My life as a Comic Collector and Dealer’, the other about his experiences as a bookdealer (in fiction form, as a series of short stories), ‘The Adventures of Bernie Burrows, Bookseller’. 


Both are now available worldwide on Amazon as ebooks and paperbacks, at affordable prices. The images below will link to the UK Amazon site:


 

Link to Amazon.co.uk

Link to Amazon.co.uk


Ian Baker and I first met Alan Austin on the early afternoon of Saturday, May 25th 1974. I can be that precise because it was at the Emsworth Comic Mart in Hampshire.

 


  

A number of London comic book dealers had come down to the Portsmouth area; amongst their number was Alan. I knew of him as I was already familiar with his impressive comic fanzine Fantasy Unlimited, the first one I’d ever seen. (an encounter described in SuperStuff73 ‘The Mad DC Comic Hunt, or Tales of the Fabulous Bronze Age’). I was 14 years old, and Alan seemed quite senior to me at 19. I remember he had an Amazing Fantasy #15 (the first Spider-Man comic) for sale for £15. Still way beyond my pocket-money budget. The mart did not attract the number of comic fans as hoped for, being too far out of London to attract enough collectors to make it worth their while. But although I remember I didn’t say much to Alan that day, the connection was made. Soon both Ian and myself were writing into Fantasy Unlimited with questions for his popular item We Want Information. In time, I wrote a couple of articles myself for his fanzine.


I knew Alan for forty-three years and our common interests in comics, then books, then writing in general forged a growing bond of friendship. We even found common ground and were each other’s sounding-boards concerning our mutual problems with our businesses: him as a comic and book dealer; myself as the owner of an optician’s practice. It was surprising how often our common complaints matched, whether it was dealing with landlords, leases, or the Great British Public. Alan was always a ready and sympathetic ear at the end of the telephone – for others as well as myself – and is much missed.

It’s a comfort that he left a body of work, including this book about comics, for us to again hear his voice through his words and we can all enjoy another conversation with Alan, if one-sided, about our mutual enthusiasm: the American comic book.

 

Alan Austin’s life as a comic collector encompassed much more than just collecting American comics. He said that he was born with the "merchant gene", and trading in them was a significant factor in his enjoyment of comics. It enabled him to turn a hobby into an occupation. Indeed, Alan became the UK’s first full-time comic dealer.


His sales lists evolved into the fanzine Fantasy Unlimited (later renamed Comics Unlimited). This was decades before the internet, and so Alan’s efforts enabled comic book fans to link up all over the country, and beyond, giving a boost to the comic collecting community (in much the same way that Hugo Gernsback did when he began to publish the full addresses of letter writers in the first science fiction pulps, thus founding science fiction fandom).


Alan demanded the highest standards when it came to both the text and art for his publications, and so he gave a showcase to a number of future professionals in the comic book business, including, amongst others, Kevin O’Neill.


It was certainly a Golden Age for Ian Baker and myself when we both subscribed to Fantasy Unlimited for our regular fixes of fandom beyond the environs of Portsmouth, as well as that enticing, and affordable, sales list of comics at the back of each issue, so essential for filling in the ‘gaps’ in our comic collections.

 

Part of a Marvel Sales list from Fantasy Unlimited


 

And of course, Fantasy Unlimited inspired us, along with fellow fan Geoff Cousins, to produce our own fanzine… SuperStuff! Yes, ultimately Alan Austin was to blame for the blog you are reading now.


Our first issue of SuperStuff was produced around April 1974, and between us we ‘published’ 10 issues, although I confess that reproduction of each issue depended upon carbon paper threaded through a typewriter. This method only allowed three legible copies of each issue to be produced (enough to satisfy the three of us, bizarrely). 


It wasn’t until issue 11 of SuperStuff in August 1984 that I managed to print about thirty copies. And that was using Alan’s own Gestetner 160 in the basement of his Islington shop, Heroes, to which he was generous enough to allow access, along with his encouragement and advice. Things had come full circle!

 

When it came to the prices commanded for back issues of comic books, Alan was always on the side of the comic collector. He published the first UK Price Guide to American Comics in an attempt to stabilise the market and give ammunition to the unwary fan against the odd rogue profiteering comic dealer.

 


 

When Alan’s interests changed after many years of being involved with comics (although he still kept his love of comics throughout his life), he developed a new passion for crime fiction and, naturally, his "merchant gene" kicked in. He transformed his business from comic dealing into book dealing. Later, he took up fiction writing himself and had some success as a short story writer. I mention this to point out that Alan’s interests ranged far and wide (including his coin dealing). In the end, though, it’s as an American comic book enthusiast that Alan made his greatest mark.


Alan planned to write his book about his life in comics for a long while, but the ups and downs of living, and the constant demands of his business all too often got in the way. We’re all glad that he did, in the end, make time to finish this book before he was taken from us much too soon.


This account of his journey from trading comics at school to ploughing his own furrow through life is the story of someone who succeeded in living life on his own terms. But also Alan Austin enriched the lives of many others, as well as making an immense contribution to the UK’s comic collecting community.

 

 

© Nigel Brown

12 comments:

  1. I was sure I recognised his name so I did a quick search of one of my bookshelves and found The Comic Guide For Great Britain by Alan Austin. It has a date of 1983 inside, and I've had it ever since I first bought it back then. Sad to hear he's no longer around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan was a great bloke and finding his ad for his fanzine Fantasy Unlimited (which included his sales list) while on holiday in Devon in 1973 put my comic collecting into overdrive! My pal Nigel Brown and I knew him over 40 years. He had huge influence on UK comics fandom.Alan was a generous man. His two books are great reads.

      Delete
  2. I too spent many Saturdays in the basement working at the shop or working on the fanzine. My first and only issue of Ugg Rotten Comix was also printed on the old Gestetner. Alan had given it to me when he switched to offset printing. I'll check out his book.
    Thanks
    Greg Chown

    ReplyDelete
  3. When my family moved from Canada to England in the spring of 1973, I spent the summer in London. I can't remember where we lived but I spent my time exploring the city looking for comic books. Dark they Were on Berwick is probably where I found a copy of Fantasy Unlimited. By the fall I was living in Keswick and I'd send drawings (crude) as submissions to Alan. There were many rejections but eventually one was published! More followed and I'm sure my dad drove me to London for a Comic Mart where I would have met Alan as well as Martin Lock. The following year my family relocated in Northampton and I could take the train to London Saturday morning and work at the shop on Lower Clapton. Alan would pay me for the day in comics and money. He shelled out for a fish and chip lunch and I would take the train home with a pile of comics a nd maybe 5/10 pounds.
    The staff consisted of Alan, Martin, Gary and myself and we would serve customers and also work on the fanzine. Edward Tenniswood (Google him) would also come with me from Northampton. Our mothers were friends and I let him tag along.
    There was always a lot of competition amongst the "artists" as to who would get the coveted "cover spot". I was only 13/14 at the time so most of my submissions were justly rejected. Alan did give me the cover of the Golden Age Fanzine and I'm sure he gave me some direction and reference. It should be busy.
    At some point Alan had a medical problem and I volunteered to keep the shop open for him. My parents said Ok and I worked and lived in the basement for a week. My bed consisted of a layer of comics with a sleeping bag on top and a space heater to keep warm. The police came to the door very late one night but they were asking about the other tenant next door. I guess they didn't care that a 14 year old kid was living in the basement of a condemned building......
    In any case we had a bit of a falling out as Gary told Alan I'd been stealing comics/money. I hadn't and kept a ledger and kept track of my hours. Eventually it was sorted out and Alan gave me his old Gestetner as a peace offering.
    I also got to be quite friendly with Martin Lock and would be his assistant at the comic marts as well as a general helper/doorman or relieve other dealers when they needed a break.
    In all it was a great time that I fondly remember (except for Edward). We moved back to Canada in 1977 and by then my interest in comics faded as I discovered cars, guitars and girls.
    I still keep in touch on occasion with both Martin and Nigel Edwards.
    Alan helped me develop my talents as an illustrator and I will always be grateful for his encouragement and friendship.
    Greg Chown

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to go to the basement shop at Clapton Pond often on a Saturday morning circa 1974, as I lived local in Mildenhall Road. Alan was a lovely guy (looked a lot older than he actually was). I stil remember the distinctive load doorbell at the shop lol.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for sharing the memory, anonymous. We all have great memories of visiting FU back in those early seventies - like going into a magic cave to my young teenage eyes. I really recommend Alan’s autobiography if you haven’t read it - brings back so many memories of those times.

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear that Alan Austin passed away in 2017. I never met Alan but I was given a whole bunch of his fanzines by a work colleague of my brothers around 1975/6 including the "Comic Book Price Guide for GB" and some indexes. I remember spending hours pouring over them looking at the pics of comic covers and the staggering prices required for some old comics, I mean £32 for Spider-Man issue 1 totally outrageous lol. I still have a copy of one of his Comics Unlimited fanzines in my loft. Seems like only yesterday I was reading these books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, McScotty. As my pal Nigel Brown relates above, he and I (Ian Baker here - eschewing the anonymity of "baggsey") first started buying comics from Alan in summer 1973, and then met him the first time in 1974. We stayed in touch through all the years, although Nigel had the most frequent interaction in the last couple of decades, and oversaw the editing and publishing of Alan's books posthumously on behalf of Alan's Estate. I really do heartily recommend obtaining a copy if you feel so disposed. His book on his life as comic dealer and collector is a super read, as is his fictionalised book of short stories about "Bernie Barrow, Book Dealer".
      Hang on to those copies of Comics Unlimited - old UK fanzines seem to be fetching a good price these days.

      Delete
  5. Lovely piece.Much enjoyed.i never met Alan or most of the comicineers of what i call the Second Coming Of Comics fandom.Back then in the mid 1960s I came in on the ground floor with the first issue of Tony Roche's Merry Marvel Fanzine when I was fourteen in about 1966. By the time he got his Heroes Unlimited up and running he came and visited me on his little motor bike in my home in Armagh N.Ireland ....a 90 -mile journey away. As the 1960s ended I drifted away from comics until during my art college years in Leeds around 1973 or 1974 ...some fifty years ago now,I came across an underground comc with the advert for Fantasy Advertiser which brought me back into the fanzine game.That's when I eventually came across Alan's Comics Unlimited and many other zines which I contributed to up until around 1980 when I got married.I never actually met any of the other guys as everything was by post.Tony remains the only one I met in person ,all these years later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ian here. Glad you enjoyed Nigel Brown's piece on Alan Austin, Harry. I've been going through the back issues of Fantasy/Comics Unlimited with a fine-tooth comb documenting all of the names and towns of the various contributors over the period 1970-1983. The number approaches 500 or so individuals across the UK. I can only identify eleven individuals from Northern Ireland who actively contributed to FU/FU over that period (including yourself), of which one other person was in Armagh (a Peter Duncan).
      I'm intrigued why you call the period "The Second Coming of Comics Fandom". I've come to the conclusion that that era of UK Comics Fandom (for American Comics) came to an end around 1980, when Thorpe & Porter no longer imported comics, and American comics were no longer available to the casual buyer in a newsagent. The emergence of the Direct Market of sales via mail-order or a relatively few comic shops provided no way for the the casual reader to get involved.

      Delete
  6. It was the 2nd coming for me because I had been away from all things comic when girls and music took over for several years!!! I then got into contributing a lot of art and letters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's me above(Anonymous) on my phone! At the time i was initially involved in the 1960s I believe there were about three of us from Ireland according to Tony Roche. The rest of the subscribers were from GB.When Heroes Unlimited finished up around 1969 the initial enthusiasm was on the wane and only revived in the 1970s .As you say, after 1980 comics were becoming harder to find on the stands.The British Marvels were also already taking off , which to me, seemed like a revival of the old 1960s Power Comics.anything I bought after that was by mail.After a while i was raising my family and mostly out of touch.My interest revived once again around 1997 and I have been dipping back in ever since.

    ReplyDelete