Friday, October 4, 2024

Detective #27 facsimile

 

© DC Comics

If someone had told me back in 1974 that there would one day be a global "Batman Day", it would have blown my mind. And if someone had told me that one day I'd own a facsimile of Detective #27 almost indistinguishable from the original, my mind would have been similarly blown.

Well, last week, both of those predictions came true, when a new facsimile of Detective #27 turned up in my pull list at my local comic shop, to celebrate "Batman Day". And what a facsimile it is. 

The comic in question is printed at original Golden Age size - not like the thick, yet modern-comic sized, recent DC facsimiles, and not as large as the DC Famous First Editions of yore. This comic is original size, with a matt-finish cover (not glossy), with interior pages being a very good substitute for flimsy newsprint, with accurate colours. It knocks all other facsimile reprints into a cocked hat.

The photos of the interior below render the interior page colours a little too brightly, and the pages actually have a slight brownish tinge to them to approximate the age of a well-preserved comic.

Well done DC!

© DC

© DC

© DC

© DC.   Comparison of size of new facsimile to recent Golden Age reprint


4 comments:

  1. I want one of those, B - where do I get one? Forget that, just send me yours. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just bought two on eBay. Yahoo!

      Delete
    2. Excellent fast work, Kid. I was totally unaware that this particular facsimile was on the horizon, so it was a nice surprise that my LCS had put one by for me. Hopefully DC will continue to reprint future Golden Age facsimiles in the right size with thin paper inside. I read that more facsimile Treasury Editions are on the way from DC, as well.
      So you have secured two copies, eh? I hope that doesn't mean you're succumbing to being a speculator.

      Delete
    3. No, but when affordable, I prefer to have a 'back-up' copy just in case of accidents.

      Delete