Monday, April 1, 2024

Favourite Artists: Darwyn Cooke - Six Pack Stories & The Adventures of Dutch Courage

 



I’m a great admirer of the work of Darwyn Cooke and I believe that I own most examples of his comic book work, as well as the various hardback adaptations he did of Richard Stark’s anti-hero Parker. I love the way that he would adapt different styles to the material at hand - sometimes cartoony, at other times a pastiche of 1950s styles in the vein of Jim Mooney, and sometimes a more painterly approach.  I’m not aware of another American mainstream comic book artist who consciously varies his or her style to suit the material to the same extent.


I first came to appreciate Darwyn's work in DC's The New Frontier, and then avidly tracked down everything of his that I could find. One of my most prized possessions is The Adventures of Dutch Courage.


The Adventures of Dutch Courage is a 10-panel comic strip, drawn by Darwyn and written by Jimmy Palmiotti, published as custom labels on the bottles of session ale (brewed with juniper berries and lemon peel) for Arcade Brewery in Chicago a decade ago.  I've consumed four of the six bottles, but two bottles remain unopened.


The Adventures of Dutch Courage was only available on 18th November 2015 at four locations in Chicago ; The Beer Temple, Capones Liquor, Prestige Liquors (Westmont), and Binny’s (Lincoln Park). Luckily my eldest son was living close to Lincoln Park that year, and was able to secure me a six-pack.


At the time Darwyn was quoted “If you stop and think about all the beer Jimmy and I have consumed over the years, it’s about time we did something like this.”


Line 'em up!


Panel from Bottle #1

The six-pack packaging even has a bonus ad-page on the bottom of the carton.


Since Darwyn left us in 2016, I’ve looked for other artists that evince that same cartoony style imbued with humour and love for the material. David Aja and Jorge Fornes are good alternatives to Darwyn's "50s" style but Elsa Charretier is by far the closest in terms of being able to evoke Darwyn's cartoony style, humour and love of the medium. It is interesting that these three individuals I've noted are either Spanish or French, bringing European comic influences to a North American art form.


I've included a Wonder Woman piece by Elsa Charretier below.

© DC. Artwork by Elsa Charretier.

 ----------- Update as of April 2nd 2024-----------

Here are all six labels of the Dutch Courage adventure. Labels 2 to 6 are scanned from the bottles rolling them on my scanner - it is the best I can do without removing the labels from the bottles!








9 comments:

  1. Yeah, that Wonder Woman drawing is very Darwyn Cooke, sure enough. Incidentally, I left a comment on your previous post regarding the postmark on the envelope of the F.O.O.M. kit, and also in response to your query on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's brilliant - thanks, Kid. I just took a look. I seem to have missed out on a load of notifications over the past couple of days, so thanks for pointing me to it. Hope it wasn't too much of an effort to track down the envelope. Very much appreciated. Ta.

      Delete
    2. Nah, only took me around three hours searching through a cupboard to find it. However, I wanted to know where it was anyway.

      Delete
    3. Thanks again! 3 hrs is a lot of time out of your day.

      Delete
  2. These images are brilliant thanks for showing them. Like yourself I'm a big fan of Darwyn's art and I really like his more cartoony style as shown here a!axing what he could do with just a few lines on paper. He was such a talent it was so sad he passed away so young. Those Dutch courage pieces are amazing , I'd love to see more of you have it . So did you drink the beer? lol. Elsa:s work is very reminiscent of Darwyn's (and Bruce Timms) style, do you know if she has drawn any comics in that style? Great stuff Ian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try to photograph all the panels of the Dutch Courage story if I can figure out how to do it without removing the labels from the bottles Paul. I've updated this blog entry above to include the first panel in all its glory, and I'll try to track down the others and update the blog entry again.
      And yes - I did drink the beer of four of the bottles - very palatable. I kept the cap though.

      Re Elsa Charretier - she is currently drawing the indie comic Love Everlasting, written by Tom King. She is using a very cartoony style for it.
      She also has a web channel and does regular analyses of different artistic techniques, which are worth watching. This one where she does a deep dive on the Miller/Mazzuchelli Batman: Year One is well worth your time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9nqF3sGnR0

      Delete
  3. That would be great if you can Ian. Ahhh I picked up a copy of "Love Everlasting " a few months ago on a whim but haven't read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have managed to scan all six labels, and posted them above. Had to roll the bottles on my scanner to get the best image I could. Re the "Love Everlasting" by Elsa Charretier...it's a serial story, so I'd advise either going back to issue #1, or getting the trade graphic novel.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for showing these Ian , really nice art and pretty impressive scanning.

    ReplyDelete