Friday, November 11, 2022

Searching for comics in Portsmouth, 1970s style - Part Four

 

[You can read the previous three parts of this blog reminiscence of cycling around Portsmouth in the early to mid-1970s in search of American comics, Part One here, Part Two here and Part Three here. - Ian (baggsey)]

© Google. Picking up the route.....
When we last left our heroes, we had just left a convenience store in the St Paul's Road area. Our next stop on the weekly comic hunt is at one of the most iconic buildings in Portsmouth - Charter House - built in the late 1800's, and still very much in use today.

The newsagents in question was...

Stop #18. W.H. Edwards, Charter House, Cambridge Rd.

© "honda1998rrw" - found on Flickr

© Google. Am pretty sure W.H. Edwards was where Mail Boxes is now


Although we stopped by here on our Saturday comic hunts in the early 70s, it really came into its own in the period 1975-76, when we would also make a weekly Friday visit during school lunch break on our walk from Portsmouth Grammar School in the old High Street up to W H Smiths in Commercial Rd to pick up a weekly copy of Look-In, which I got primarily for TV news of Bionic Woman, Six-Million Dollar Man and Batman, as well as the comic strips of The Tomorrow People (hoping to see the artwork of Mike Noble) and Six Million Dollar Man (drawn by Martin Astbury).


However, with every trip for Look-In, we stopped at W.H. Edwards in Charter House which was the prime hub for obtaining Marvel Black & White magazines in Portsmouth; the biggest selection and the most reliable source. 


"I'm pretty sure that I collected every Marvel B&W that was on offer, but the titles that stick in my mind are Doc Savage, Deadly Hands of Kung Fu, Unknown Worlds of Science Fiction and Savage Sword of Conan. I really gravitated towards the Marvel B&W magazines – I liked the whole concept of a magazine that incorporated interesting articles with a different style of artwork. One major gripe at the time was that the US Planet of the Apes magazine was unavailable on the spinner racks in the UK, to avoid competition with the UK Planet of the Apes weekly comic.


"I thought that the Doc Savage B&W magazine was the best rendition of Doc and his crew that I'd seen in a comic book, and the stories went some way towards capturing Doc's 'Apocalyptic Life" as Philip Jose Farmer coined it. The artwork by John Buscema and Tony de Zuniga was excellent and Doug Moench had obviously read Lester Dent's story outline Bible for the Doc pulps. If Buscema did not exactly capture the Doc in my mind's eye, it came pretty close. Ken Barr's art on the covers were closest to Bama that I'd seen on comic covers - I loved the whole package, but it only lasted 8 issues.” – Ian


© Marvel. Art by John Buscema and Tony de Zuniga

Unknown Worlds of Science Fiction # 5 (Sept. 1975) was a landmark issue for me as it featured an interview with one of my favourite SF writers, Larry Niven. At that time I had been hugely impressed by his collection ‘Neutron Star’.” - Nigel


© Marvel. Unknown Worlds of Science Fiction #5


"Deadly Hands of Kung Fu was also a must-buy - as much for the wonderful Neal Adams covers as the Shang-Chi stories within. So many great Adams covers to choose from, but #4 really sticks in my mind. I liked the way he drew Caine's face as a cross between David Carradine and Bruce Lee." - Ian



Stop #19. Convenience store, just inside College Street, on the Hard opposite the Harbour Station

The next stop on our route took us half a mile south-west to Portsmouth Harbour, to a small convenience store/newsagents, next to The Victory restaurant. The photo from Google shows the part of the building now painted grey - not much to look at - but a source of comics all the same, back in the mid 70s.

© Google street view

“This convenience store/newsagents became a semi regular haunt around May/June 1976, when they started stocking DCs at the point when T&P started re-distribution of old stock after a period of no imports. Each comic had been issued a “5p” price sticker to overlap the existing 10p T&P stamp, but in many cases the newsagent had peeled off the 5p sticker to reveal the old price instead.


The only comics I can recall buying here were House of Secrets issues that I had somehow missed. I had been a great DC House of Mystery fan, but expanded the collection to HoS somewhat later. I'm pretty sure that I picked up House of Secrets #139  (Berni Wrightson cover) with a rather disappointing spooky tale by Jack Oleck, illustrated by Steve Ditko, inked by Mike Royer. I suppose I was expecting a more Kirby-esque version of Ditko when inked by Royer, but it just seemed lacklustre ” - Ian


© DC. Cover by Berni Wrightson

©DC. Ditko drawn - Royer inked.
Stop #20. J.W. August. 65 Charlotte Street (on the corner of Charlotte Street and Meadow Street).

Cycling a mile from the Harbour towards Commercial Road brought us to Charlotte Street, the famed market street of Portsmouth, now long gone, subsumed by the Cascades shopping mall. But in the 60s and 70s.it was the hub of commerce. Half-way along Charlotte Street was newsagents J.W. August, which had achieved some notoriety as far back as 1952, involved in a case of selling unsuitable magazines. (See blog "American Comics in Austerity Britain") . But we knew none of this; as far as we were concerned it was a prime comics haunt.

J.W. August not long prior to demolition 

“[J.W. August was...] Where I first saw DC comics, with their distinctive checkerboard black and white top strip, on a Thorpe & Porter wire rack in 1966. It was the shop opposite my father’s market stall, so I was bound to see the comic rack eventually…

 

“I remember looking at the cover of World’s Finest # 160 in 1966, thinking ‘Who are these colourful characters swooping down to confront this villain?’ They were Superman, Batman and Robin.

 

“Soon after that, I acquired my first American comic, Superman # 190, and so for me this newsagent was where it all began! For a more detailed account, see SuperStuff previous post in July 2020: What’s in a name? Superman’s greatest enemy we don’t hear about. ” – Nigel


© DC. Nigel's first view of a DC comic.

Stop #21. A.F. Dines - barrow in Charlotte Street (on the corner of Charlotte St and Commercial Road)

The final stop in Charlotte St was at A.F. Dines' barrow, where recent back issues of UK magazines and comics could be had at reduced prices. Can anyone zoom in on the photo and definitely identify any of the magazines and comics on sale?
© Family of A.F. Dines

“Back in the late 60s I remember it had recent back issues of Smash, Pow, TV21 and Joe 90. Presumably the owner got remainder-returned comics from the wholesalers.” – Ian

 

Stops #22, #23, #24. Newsie outside General Post Office ; Post Office in Arundel Street ; 2nd hand shop in Arundel Street, close to Fratton Road

The memory gets hazy at this point, and we include these three stops for the sake of completeness. Our pal Geoff Cousins remembers clearly that there was a street newsie who used to sell newspapers and comics outside the General Post Office, opposite the Town Station (stop #22 in map). Stop #23 was the local Post Office in Arundel Street, where they stocked a few Marvels in the summer of 1975, and finally stop #24, which was probably the scruffiest second-hand shop in Pompey.

“I have a vague recollection of a comic shop there.” – Nigel


“I remember a scruffy shop on the South side of Arundel Street, half a dozen shops West of Fratton Road. My overriding memory is that it was smelly, very dark and uninviting -  intimidating, even” – Ian


[This about wraps it up for this blog. Only one more stage to go, as we subsequently head north to the wilds of Buckland and Stamshaw, and the two key second-hand shops for back issues.]

6 comments:

  1. I've got that issue of World's Finest #160, had it for years, decades even. However, I can no longer remember (today anyway, tomorrow might be different) whether I had it when it first came out or simply saw it in an ad within a DC comic. If that last photo is from the '70s, one of the comics looks as if it might be a Marvel UK Spider-Man comic. (The photo doesn't enlarge too well.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry the photo is so blurry - I only have access to the jpg I posted, Kid. I’ve tried to identify three Melody Maker on the stand, but no success so far. Re the Worlds Finest - you raise an interesting point - I think that I first became aware of that comic through a DC ad and really wanted it back in 1966. It wasn’t until 1974 that I picked up an actual copy. Those DC ads were so good.

      Delete
    2. I reckon it was probably the '80s when I got my copy, but whether it was mid or late '80s I just couldn't say. Age, alas.

      Delete
  2. Another great post. I have tried retracing my comic book steps in the Lanarkshire\Glasgow area (and other UK regions towns and cities like Blackpool, London etc) but the location of many of the pre 1980s shops (not to mention their names) are now mostly lost to me. I also loved Marvels black and white .As even although some of the strips could be rushed but Savage Sword of Conan , Vampire Tales, Dead!y Hands of Kung Fu and especially Unknown Worlds of SF were favourites.

    Regarding the news cart the photo must have been from the early 80s as I'm sure thats when Melody Maker changed its name to "MM". The other books, I see one that starts with a capital "S" but the next letter looks like a "U" , there one at the end that starts with a T that !looks like a copy of the UK comic Thunder but that was from the ear!y 1970s? So basically I have. no idea, sorry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for peering at that photo, McScotty. I think that identifying the particular issue of Melody Maker is the best way to date the photo, but I’ve had no luck so far matching it to any copies for sale on eBay or on some of the magazine archive sites.
      As you say, it’s from that period where the logo changed to “MM”.

      Re the Marvel B&W’s - I seem to be able to pick up back issues of Savage Sword of Conan for around $10 each, even early ones with Adams covers - whereas early issues of Deadly Hands of Kung Fu seem a lot pricier as back issues. Chatting with my pal (and fellow SuperStuff editor) Nigel Brown about this, he telle me that he’s seen similar Savage Sword issues for sale at the London Mart recently going for £20; I wonder if Conan is held in higher regard by UK collectors than here in the US.

      If you ever do get more information about shops you visited for comics in the 70s, I'm sure it would make for an interesting blog over on your site.

      Delete
    2. From my experience I would say that the Savage Sword of Conan b&w mags sell for more than Deadly Hands, certainly the earlier first 50 or so issues. A few years ago I picked up 7 issues of Deadly Hands mags for £2 each.

      Delete