Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Name That Comic!

 by Ian Baker

© Name that comic.  Summer 1970 or 1971 I think.

This blog is a brief test of the power of social media to identify a comic featured in an old photo.  The photo above is a section of a slide transparency taken either around August 1970 or possibly August 1971.

Can anyone identify the specific comic held in my hands? Not wishing to influence anyone's conclusions, but it looks to me like a large British comic, folded over. Perhaps the Beezer or Topper? There appears to be a yellow circular logo on the top left-hand corner (or could be bottom right-hand corner). 

All suggestions greatly appreciated!

6 comments:

  1. That's a toughie, B. I've taken a look at Beezers and Toppers of the period, but none of them really match that image. I suspect it's a Beezer though, but with a one-off circular blurb on the left-hand side of the masthead. Or perhaps the cover has slid off, and it's an interior page of either Beezer or Topper on show in the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for checking, Kid. Much appreciated. I've looked high and low on the internet for digital copies of those comics from the period in the hope of dating the photo, but no luck so far. I suspect that it is a Beezer as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It certainly seems to be the Beezer or Topper but i havent a clue as to the actual strip.if that yellow circle is the logo I'll guess "The Banana Bunch"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking, McScotty. If only there were archive libraries of British comics digitized out there on the web. Lots of American comics, and Newspapers, but no British comics (unless I'm looking in the wrong places).

      Delete
  4. The Beezer used to have a yellow oval shape (like a rugby ball standing on its 'edge') with the price in it, on the right-hand side of the masthead. Perhaps it appeared on the left-hand side (from the reader's point of view) for a time, and if so, it might be one of those issues.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I've narrowed the date of the photo down to Saturday August 28th 1971, so all I now need to do is locate a copy of Beezer or Topper for that date.

    ReplyDelete